Tuesday, February 5, 2008

In Good Times and In Bad...




Today Nick and I returned to the tattoo parlor so he could get his 'ink'. (If I forgot to mention it, I got a tattoo of a butterfly along with Caroline's initials on Jan. 23rd.) As I sat there watching Nick get Caroline's footprints permanently placed on his wrist, I realized (again) how lucky I am to call him my husband and my best friend. I was reminded of this part of our wedding vows and had to recall them by watching our video: "You are my best friend and I love you. I promise to love you in good times in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple and when it is an effort." Wow, who knew how true those vows would become when we said them? Life has been hard, it has been an effort, but I can honestly say we are better for it. Our marriage is stronger because of it and so is our faith. I am not the same person today that I was in that wedding video, and neither is Nick. We will be forever changed because we shared her moments. NO one could have convinced me a year ago that my husband and I would have gone to church and attended the Pancake Supper tonight! We have been to church almost;) every week since we found out about our loss. I can truly say that God has used Caroline and her short, but sweet life to teach us some big lessons. If given the chance would I have chosen to bear this pain to learn them? Well, of course not, but because we have made it through this we are grateful for everything in life, especially for eachother, more than we ever would have been without her.

Phillipians 4:11-13
I am not telling you this because I need anything. I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens. I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens, when I have enough to eat and when I go hungry, when I have more than I need and when I do not have enough. I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yay for baby tattoos, awesome Daddies, and little girls who come to whisper sweet messages from God into our lives and make our lives infinitely better for having know them. ;)

Stephanie said...

I hope we can see a picture of his beautiful tattoo. You are amazing parents.

Emily said...

I just had to come back here and read this again. Oh, how my heart rejoices for the ways Caroline and Miller Grace have marked our lives forever. How cool that tiny girls have led us closer to our Savior. I had to say it again. :)