Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Helping a Grieving Friend

When you have a quiet few minutes, please go here to read a series written about grief.
Be sure that you scroll all the way down to start at part 1. It gives a very good behind the scenes look at what it may be like for someone who is grieving. I have found that most peole don't really like the idea of being around someone who is grieving, mainly because they don't know what to say, or to do. Even after experiencing my own grief...I still don't claim it to be an easy thing to know what to say to others.

This blog belongs to Molly Piper. Like Caroline, their daughter, Felicity, was stillborn. Unlike us, she was full-term. I hope that this series will be helpful to you or to someone you know.

And finally, an FYI: I am not posting this b/c anyone has said or done the wrong things. I am posting this because Molly puts it very well. Also, for anyone who may come across my blog and need it in the future.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I came across your blog after looking at blogs of others who have lost babies. I was drawn to look because I saw the name Caroline. Its not often I see others who share my name. I have been so blessed by your vulnerability to publicly share your grief and pain following the loss of your precious little girl. I have not experienced a loss such as yours so I really have no reference point for the magnitude of grief that comes with losing a child. I think the name of the blog is right on and such a beautiful picture of God's grace over your life. I was just reading this morning Isaiah 61:1-3 "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion-to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor." This is not only what the Lord calls us to do when we serve Him, but its what He will use others in our lives to do for us. You will probably never know this side of heaven how many people you touched because you shared your story truthfully. The reality is that life is hard, its also good, but its also very painful at times. You are being real and its beautiful. Keep grieving and keep sharing. God is doing something great in you and your husband and He is using a tiny baby girl to dramatically touch your lives and teach you more about His grace and love. Be blessed!

anne turner said...

I lost my father very suddenly last May and am still in the midst of grief. I started reading a book today and would highly recommend it - The Unwanted Gift of Grief by Tim P. VanDuivendyk